By Dianna Brinch / Gourministeriet
Delicious and juicy flatbreads with tasty vegetarian meatballs, couscous and vegetables, along with a crispy and slightly sour tabbouleh. The Arabian kitchen is simply fantastic and so full of taste.
Serve the rolls with a nice baba ganoush or some creamy hummus as perfect accompaniments to this amazing meal.
Time: 2 hours / servings: 4
- 25 g (1 oz) yeast
- 3½ dl (10 cups) lukewarm water
- 550 g (4½ cup) wheat flour + some for rolling out
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 400 g (0.9 lbs) prepared couscous, equalling approx. 150 g (0.3 lbs) dry couscous
- 1 courgette, coarsely grated
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 2 finely grated cloves of garlic
- 1 large handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 100 g (3.5 oz) Feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1-1½ dl (0.4-0.6 cup) breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Rapeseed oil
- 100 g (0.25 lbs) prepared couscous, equalling approx. ½ dl (0.2 cup) dry couscous
- 150 g (0.35 lbs) flat leaf parsley
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- ½ cucumber without seeds
- 2 spring onions
- ¼ dl (0.1 cup) olive oil
- Juice from 1-1½ lemon
- 1 pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Feta cheese for crumbling onto the dish before serving (option)
- Dissolve the yeast in the water and then add salt, sugar and oil.
- Add the flour little by little and knead the dough, preferably in a food processor, until the flour has been absorbed into the dough and the dough is sticking to the dough hook.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave the dough to rise in a warm place for about an hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 equally large pieces, approx. 110 g (0.2 lbs) per piece.
- Roll each piece out into a big circle with a thickness of approx. 2-3 mm (0.08-0.12 inches). Use a bit of flour if needed.
- Heat up a frying pan at medium heat and use a bit of cooking spray or brush oil onto it.
- Bake the breads for a couple of minutes on each side at medium heat until they start bubbling and turn light-brown. Use cooking spray each time you turn a bread and when you start frying a new one to make sure that your flatbreads turn nice and juicy.
- Mix the couscous with courgette, carrot, garlic and parsley.
- Crumble Feta cheese into the mixture and season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 eggs and breadcrumbs to the mixture which must be firm and not too wet. Let the mixture rest on the kitchen table for 15 minutes.
- Heat up a nice splash of rapeseed oil on a frying pan at medium heat. Make couscous meatballs out of the mixture and fry them until they are golden and crisp. Do not turn them until they have a crispy crust because the meatballs turn porous if you turn them too often. The easiest way to make the meatballs is using your hands, pressing them into a flat shape and then placing them onto the frying pan.
- Finely chop parsley, tomatoes, spring onions and cucumber, and mix all the ingredients with the prepared couscous.
- Mix olive oil with lemon juice and some sugar, and season to taste with salt and pepper. You might want to add more lemon juice. I personally like this salad to be quite sour but it is up to you.
- Add the marinade to the salad just before serving.