Grilled sandwich with home-made pesto, tomato and mozzarella
By Dianna Brinch / Gourministeriet
This easily prepared and simple sandwich is so incredibly delicious that we always return to the same recipe – pesto tomato and mozzarella.
Home-made pesto is definitely the best choice but if you do not want to try that out, a good pesto from a food shop will also do fine.
This recipe serves 2 and you will have some left-over pesto that will easily last for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Time: 30 min. / servings: 2
- 6 slices of toast
- 2 big tomatoes
- 2 drained mozzarella cheeses
- 1 handful of rocket
- Cooking spray (option)
- 2 large handfuls of rocket (remove any long stems)
- 20 basil leaves
- 1 dl (0.4 cup) ramson oil or a good, mild olive oil
- 50 g (0.6 cup) Parmesan cheese
- 30 g (0.15 cup) pine nuts, quickly roasted in a frying pan (option)
- 20 g (0.10 cup) almonds
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Pour all pesto ingredients into a blender and blend until the texture is to your liking. Season to taste with salt.
- Toast two of the 6 pieces of bread in a toaster, perhaps greasing with a bit of cooking spray first, and keep them for the middle of the sandwich.
- Spread pesto onto 2 slices of bread, then add a layer of mozzarella, then tomato and then a bit of rocket. Finish off with the toasted pieces of toast. Spread pesto onto the toasted pieces of toast as well, then add a layer of mozzarella, tomato and rocket. Finish off with a slice of bread. You might want to use a cooking spray on the toaster sides and heat up the sandwich until the cheese melts and the bread turns nice and crisp.
- If you like, you can open up the sandwich and add some fresh rocket just before serving.