Grilled T-bone steak with pommes anna and bearnaise sauce
By Jes Brinch / Gourministeriet
Time: 1 hour / servings: 4
- 2 large T-bone steaks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 kg (2 lbs) medium-sized potatoes
- 200 g (3 oz) butter
- 1 finely chopped shallot
- 2 finely grated cloves of garlic
- 1-2 stems of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Leaves from 1 twig of thyme
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 portion of home-made bearnaise sauce
- Remove the steaks from the fridge, season with salt and pepper and let them rest on the kitchen table for approx. 20 minutes. Place them on the warm grill and fry them until the core temperature reaches approx. 55-56° C (131-133° F). That equals approx. 10 minutes on each side, depending on meat thickness.
- Allow the steaks to rest for 15 minutes before cutting them.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into very thin slices with a thickness of no more than 1 mm (0.04 inches). The easiest way to do this is to use a grater because then you make sure than all the slices are equally thin.
- Melt the butter in a small pot, and add onion, garlic, fresh herbs, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Let the mixture fry for a minute until the onions turn translucent.
- Grease 4 small bowls with the butter mixture and place a fine layer of potatoes in each bowl, topping each potato layer with some of the butter mixture. Add another fine layer of potatoes and carefully press the layers together to make sure that they are nice and close. Continue in this way until all the potatoes and the butter mixture have been used or until the bowl has almost been filled completely, i.e. approx. ½ -1 cm (0.2-0.4 inches) from the rim.
- Bake the potatoes in a preheated oven at 200° C (390° F) for approx. 30-45 minutes.
- Let the potatoes rest for 10 minutes before serving them and drain off the butter if you want to. It would be a shame though because it tastes so good.
- Cut the steaks by removing the meat from the bones and then slicing each piece of meat. Place the meat slices up against the bones and serve them on a cutting board along with bearnaise sauce and the individual potato servings.