Kofta skewers – spicy Turkish meatballs
By Dianna Brinch / Gourministeriet
Delicious spicy kofta skewers, prepared in a kettle grill to get the authentic taste of Turkish cooking. These kofta are incredibly tasty, very easy to make and suitable as skewers or small meatballs.
Serve them in pitta pockets, with flatbread or at the summer BBQ with a nice salad and a fresh yoghurt dressing.
We used minced lamb for our kofta but if you do not like lamb, you can also use minced beef or a mixture of both. Lamb meat does, however, add a fantastic taste to this dish so why not try it out?
Time: 1 hour / servings: 4
This recipe is for 6-8 skewers.
- 600 g (1.3 lbs) minced lamb
- 2 tbsp wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 cloves of garlic, pressed or grated
- 2 finely chopped onions
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- 4 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ½ red chilli, finely chopped (perhaps without seeds)
- 1½ tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Fry the pine nuts until golden on a dry frying pan and then coarsely chop them.
- Mix the pine nuts with the minced lamb, add the rest of the ingredients and mix it all well.
- Let the mixture rest on the kitchen table for 15-20 minutes.
- Attach the minced meat mixture to the skewers and grill them for approx. 5 minutes on each side. The meat must be firm but still nice and juicy.
If you do not have the option of grilling your kofta, you can also prepare them on a frying pan. Heat up a bit of oil and fry them until they are golden and done, i.e. after approx. 4 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness.